o Features New
MAPS of SIALKOT
Shrine of Imam Ali-ul-Haq
The great sufi saint of Sialkot, Imam Ali-ul-Haq, better known as Imam Sahib, lived here during the 13th century AD, during the reign of Feroz Shah Tughlaq (of the Tughlaq Dynasty). He is reputed to have converted a majority of the local population to Islam.
Iqbal Manzal (House of Allama Muhammed Iqbal)
Iqbal Manzal located in Kashmiri Mohala is the birth place of Allama Mohammad Iqbal. In 1861 Allama Iqbal's grandfather Shaikh Rafiq bought the house. The house is now a national monument with a small library and most of the belongings of Allam Iqbal are preserved and restored as museum open to everyone.
Allama Iqbal Chowk (Dramman Wala Chowk)
The famous roundabout of Sialkot, Iqbal Chowk, has been variously known in the past as Drumman-wala Chowk. Some other famous roundabouts are Samaj Chowk, Beri Wala Chowk, Shahab Pura Chowk, China Chowk, and Anwar Khawaja Chowk.
Jinnah Stadium – Conelley Park
The Connelley Park (named after a British deputy commissioner of Sialkot) was converted to Jinnah Stadium (by another deputy commissioner of Sialkot, Mr. Waqar Ahmed) in 1979 which was formally inaugurated in 1984 by the deputy commissioner of Sialkot at that time, Mr. Ismail Qureshi.
On a low hill in the centre of the old city are the few remains of the Sialkot Fort. The shrine of the pir (saint) Muradala Shah is also on the hill.
The Alexandra Bridge, where the North-Western Railway crossed Chenab at Wazirabad on its way to Sialkot, was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1876. The railway branch from Wazirabad to Sialkot was extended to Jammu in 1890. The Sialkot-Narowal railway line was opened in 1915.
Raja Sal Bahan has been past a very famous ruler at Sialkot. He reconstructed the fort, that was made by Raja Shull. Raja Sal Bahan had two sons. One is Rasalu , who become Raja (Ruler) after the death of his father, while his other son was prince Poren , who seizure by her father's second wife. and raja got so anger that he ordered his soldiers to kill Prince Poren and thrown into a well outside city. So Raja's soldiers cut off his hands and feet and throw him into well. This well is present outside city Sialkot yet and known as
Paris Road used to be a fashionable area of Sialkot where rich and fashionable Hindus once lived. The most wonderful residence on Paris Road belonged to the famous Hindu barrister, C. Roy, which was converted to the official residence of the sessions judge in Sialkot after the formation of Pakistan. At the farthest end of the Paris Road, near the seasonal stream, Bher Nala, there were two enormous homes, both owned by Hindus, which were taken over by the government and turned into the official residences of the deputy commissioner and the superintendent of police after the partition of British India.
The British laid the foundation of the Sialkot Cantonment in 1849 which was completed in 1852. For establishing the Sialkot Cantonment, the British Commander-in-Chief, Sir Lord Napier, surveyed and selected the area between the seasonal streams, Bher Nala and Palkhu Nala, from the point of view of defence. He also laid the foundations of the Brigade Headquarters. The Area Command laid its foundation in 1852 under the leadership of Major General Angulas. Sheikh Ghulam Qadir and Seth Rai Bahadur laid the foundation stone for the Clock House (Ghanta Ghar) in the Sadar Bazar. Murray College, Sialkot was established in 1889.
Head Works Marala
Chenab is a 1086 km long river which originates in the Kulu and Kangra Districts of Himachal Pradesh in India and is fed by the tributaries Chandra and Bagha as it enters Jammu & Kashmir near Kishtwarr. After cutting across the Pir Panjal range, it enters the Sialkot district in Pakistan where the Marala Barrage was built across the river in 1968 with a maximum discharge of 1.1 million cusecs. Two major water channels originate at the Marala headworks - the Marala-Ravi Link Canal and the Upper Chenab Canal. Most of the rain falls during monsoon season in summer which often results in flooding.
Historical Personalities of Sialkot
Sialkot is the birthplace of the Muslim philosopher, scholar and poet, Dr. Muhammad Iqbal, as well as the famous Urdu poet, Faiz Ahmed Faiz. Another prominent figure from Sialkot was the eminent philosopher Professor William Lilly who taught at the Murray College, Sialkot and spent most of his working life there. His book on ethics remains a classic. Professor William Lilly and Dr. Muhammad Iqbal used to act as examiners in philosophy for Punjab University. The famous Indian journalist, Kuldip Nayyar, is the son of Dr. Gurbakhsh Singh who was from Sialkot and used to practice medicine in the city’s Trunk Bazar. The famous Indian politician, Gulzari Lal Nanda, also came from Sialkot. Mullah Abdul Hakim ( Fazil Lahori) Another renowned scholar of Sialkot was Mullah Abdul Hakim who is known in the Middle East as Fazil Lahori. The Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan, had him weighed in gold once and in silver twice. He is buried in Sialkot near the old Power House (Bijli Ghar). Dr. Qamar Tabish (1930 - 2001) a multi-dimensional personality, better known as a physician, mystic poet, and scholar also contributed a lot to the Urdu and the Persian poetry, religion and painting.. He is also remembered as a great devotee of Mohammad (peace be upon him) - the Prophet of Islam.